Otitis
Another word I'm now fascinated with.
Otitis is a general term for inflammation of the ear. It is further subdivided into the following:
Otitis externa - involves the outer ear and ear canal
Otitis media - involves the middle ear
Otitis interna - involves the inner ear
There are about 30-35 million cases per year of otitis media. It accounts for 3% of all patient visits and is the #1 reason for an antibiotic prescription.
Yes, I also have an ear infection (apart from my TB cough) and yes, it hurts. I'm on antibiotics and aspirin and I hope it clears up soon because I hate the feeling of having a perpetually blocked/stuffy ear. I was going to put up photos but the ones of the net were so nasty I decided that my otitis (sounds like a naughty word hehehe) was much better looking and I wouldn't want to associate it with the pictures of other people's otitises. So here instead is a picture of a dog with cute ears, not that my ears remotely resemble this:

You cleverer ones, would have noticed by now that I italicised the word 'remotely' above. This means you're my friend or could probably be one. Those who didn't notice, well, I like you too... I guess. The reason is I cannot with complete and absolute confidence say that my ears do not at all resemble those of a beagl
e, is because on some level they actually do. You see, I'm unfortunately from a stock of people renown for their large, sticky out ears. The kind that flap about in the wind. The kind that earn you the nickname Dumbo in school. Honestly, I kid you not. And no, I haven't tried flying. Lucky for me however, I'm blessed with a terribly amazing personality, unreasonably good looks, an abnormal amount of brains and so my overall perfection sort of makes up for this er, deformity. ;-)
My ears are not small stuff like a 6th finger (I once knew a girl with 6 fingers on each hand, useless information I know but true nonetheless) which can be discreetly hidden away or a third nipple which can be tucked into an improvised bra. No, ears are unfortunately the kind of appendage which you must show unless you're a girl or a really cool guy and can grow your hair really long which even then will only partially hide them. Notice I said really cool guys, I'm thinking along the lines of Bo Bice cool. I know nerdy boys who also try to grow their hair long with disastrous results... Yes, you, you know who you are. :-p You see the wind and other matters may conspire against you, causing you to have to tie your hair and what to do then? I try to make up for it by wearing really, really pretty earings. (They really are pretty, I forgot to add I've got immensely good taste). That way, people who normally notice these things (petty people really) are distracted by pure fits of jealously for not having found and bought the pair of earings adorning my montrosities.
Ok, enough about my ears for now, maybe someday, I'll write about my love-hate experience with these ears, the op, candle wax, piercings and all sorts of other exciting stuff. Maybe I'll even add pictures :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment