Monday, May 08, 2006

And I thought the coast was clear



An unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with either actual or potential tissue damage. It is a very personal and individual experience … defined as whatever the patient says it is, and it exists wherever he or she says it does.

It was pain I felt, the most awful kind, the kind that made you shake, perspire and cry out. I've only experienced it once before in recent memory and I remember the anguish that followed. Too long have I ignored the signs, and now I have to deal with it I guess. I'm on painkillers and yet I feel the discomfort. I always thought I had a high threshold for pain and maybe I do, which makes this all the more scarier. As always I looked for quotes and found these:

It hurts! It throbs with pain, the like of which I never felt the half! Mortal flesh would scream again . . . yet demon spirit bids to laugh. ~ Alan Grant

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

That which is escaped now is pain to come.

Pain and death are a part of life. To reject them is to reject life itself.

Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain. ~ William Faulkner

"No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown." ~ William Penn

p.s. Men named William seem to be quite smart :-)

No comments: