Friday, March 02, 2007

Heaven

Somewhere in Heaven by Wis

M asked me over tea the other day about what I thought heaven would be like and I gave her a 2-word answer. Well three if you're going count the 'and'. Later I explained that
I believe that our human minds and emotions are incapable of imagining or feeling the beauty of paradise... I imagine its a combination of all that has made us happy here on earth multiplied 1,000,000...

Coincidentally I read 2 articles this morning about ideas people have about heaven. This story by Adam Kirsch covers what contemporary writers have to say on life in heaven. Largely people have written about a consumerist heaven, where you gain all what you want on earth and even the
"therapeutic heaven, where you listen to your inner child, repair your self-esteem, and finally reach closure."

This line gave me food for thought, "...could only be the products of our affluent, post-religious society—not pious enough to be concerned with God and not hungry enough to fantasize about food. Instead, the afflictions they want heaven to cure are the very ones our wealth seems to aggravate: loneliness, alienation, emotional deprivation."

No comments: