Monday, April 30, 2007

Come, fall in love...

This post is inspired by an email Baby sent me, about how DDLJ is close to 600 weeks of continuous play in a cinema in India, grossing nearly twelve billion rupees or one billion ringgit. It is the longest-running initial release in the history of Indian cinema.


Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge means The One With the Heart Will Take the Bride. It was the first Bollywood movie I ever watched in a cinema and marked my long love affair with hottie Shah Rukh Khan. I watched it with a bunch of girlfriends one Saturday afternoon; we had been looking forward to it all week. I don’t know if I would have felt as nostalgic as I do had I watched it later in life, but at 16 and waiting for our own Prince Charming’s, I guess this movie promised all the music music, colour and dance true love would bring when it came a-calling. In between posting, I've been digging up clips over at Youtube and smiling to myself - its amazing how we can store away and conjure up emotions through an old movie or song.


Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is a story about human relationships. There are fisticuffs, comic interludes, and a stern father insisting on an arranged marriage. Filmed in Switzerland, it was one of the first Bollywood films to feature Indians living outside India. Tujhe Dekha is probably the most famous song from the movie but Mere Khwabon Mein (esp Kajol dancing in the rain bit) and Mehndi Laga Ke Rakhna are my favourite songs from the movie.


The Wiki has a quote which I believe says it all:


"It's a flawed, contradictory movie — aggressive and tender, stiff and graceful, clichéd and fresh, sophisticated and naive, traditional and modern. It's also, I think, a classic."
Film critic Charles Taylor of Salon.com


7 comments:

Ninja said...

Oh i loved this movie. We have the VCD and me and my mum have watched it about 5 times already. But my favv till this day is still Kuch Kuch Hota Hai...watched it no less than 20 times!

lived-legna said...

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is a classic too. Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol really have chemistry on screen...

Pixelated Mo said...

600 weeks???!!!... the only thing i remember about this movie is Kajol's dancing in the rain scene... whats an Indian movie without a dancing in the rain sequence... nothing beats a wet sari yah.....

Anucia said...

This was my first ever hindi movie :) Your post brings back such fond memories...or simplicity..sigh..
get that 'one kind' feeling everytime i hear songs from this movie...

lived-legna said...

Mo: She danced in a white skirt and blouse lah... I can't remember any wet saree's but then again, I'm not a man :-p

Anucia: The 'one kind' feeling is exactly what I get too... Something about first loves, music and dancing :-)

Pixelated Mo said...

was talking about indian movies in general lah.. 80% are dancing in the rain in saree wan... :) Indian movie's answer to a sex scene...kekeke

lived-legna said...

Hahahah wokay... I also remember flying sari mundhane or dupatta's to signify a kiss or more...