The weekend
I can’t believe he’s married. That skinny scrawny 11 year old who sat beside me in class. Whose school bag I emptied onto his table whenever he annoyed me, revealing hammers, nails and other such nonsense. He gave me the most annoying nickname from my youth and I call him his nickname till today. We went for tuition classes and confirmation together and even I used to tease him about becoming a priest! He came down to Penang once and we went visiting the different churches in town and it was then we discovered the heritage graveyard that I love so much. We swapped stories about broken hearts and uncannily we made the same ‘choice’. And when I was at my lowest, he said the most sweetest thing to me and I don’t know if he even knows how much it meant to me to hear it then. And now he’s married. I hope they are very happy together and if I know my friend, I’m sure they will be. J But a little part of me died that day, because his wedding, more than the others, remind me that I’ve truly ‘passed over’. Maybe because he’s one of the few childhood friends I’ve remained closed with and all of a sudden reality hits you. All your friends have grown up and that would mean you have to. And it’s scary because I’m not half the person I think I should be at this stage.
Gamma was funny as usual. She seemed quite insistent that I should not join the cloistered nuns (mummy’s idea) and of course she said I shouldn’t wait anymore. J I told her let it be God’s will, it would have been too hard to explain about “my friend” from the hospital! Hehehehe… As always SinCity and I were cheeky and asked her what she thought if we married an ugly man as Grandpa was handsome. She replied, “Well if you find it in your hearts to pity him…” Then we asked her what if he was ugly and poor? She answered, “Then make him wash the pots and you can go out and have fun!” Good advice Mascodigamma! J
Meanwhile the similarities are too many to be mere coincidence. I know I’m a source of inspiration (ahem, ahem, cough, cough) but really… I am happy for her, but its still to early to tell… Let’s see where this goes.


No comments:
Post a Comment